Thursday 15 March 2012

thats like 9 hours

I’m finding the tech graph side of things a bit boring now but I hear it doesn’t get interesting until you see how it all works on actual clothes. At first I was surprised at the amount of tech graph involved but pleased cause I’m handy enough at it. Then I remembered why I didn’t pick it in school - it is awful boring.

The industrial sewing machines we use in college are so much faster than the domestic ones on my Monday night course and it can sew right through a garment before you have time to react and lift your foot off the pedal. Just when I got the hang of the domestic I feel just as useless on the industrial as I did on the domestic at the start. Today, while I was a ball of frustration on the sewing machine, I was told the single best thing I’ve ever been told. I don’t know why anyone hasn’t told me this before but you can only pull the thread on the machine when the wheel is turned a certain way. Or if you can’t find the exact point then just rock the wheel back and forth as you pull the thread back slowly. That’s a career saver right there.

Feeling so much better about myself I went outside and found that my saddle was stolen. That’s a pain in the balls, literally. It was only my shit giant hybrid though so it wasn’t a total disaster. I went in and asked the guys on the desk (we have security on the door, like in Columbine or something) to check the CCTV and one looked like he really wasn’t bothered checking the tape.
"What time did you leave it there" he asked.
"10am," it was 5 now.
"That’s like 9 hours, so it could take us a long time to look through it,"
Yeah whatever, its 7 hours so it should take you 7 hours to look through it.

The cycle home was tough and made worse when a bird decided to relieve himself on me. It must have been miles up cause it really whacked me, right on my lap. That was some workout though, cycling without a saddle for 4 miles with bird shit opening and closing in the folds of my shorts like a cyclops out of the corner of my eye, I’ll remember that if I’m ever training for a race. Just to make myself feel a bit worse, when I got home I put together a to-do list for the first time and it was massive. It just kept going and going – collect slacks, divide up my 12 dinners, make a swatch book, get on top of my stitching, get a saddle, talk to security, wash my shorts, go to work…oh shit I’m late.

No comments:

Post a Comment