Thursday 8 March 2012

The over locker

For the first time in a while I made it in early to my dole meeting but they kept me waiting for 25 minutes. I just couldn’t bring myself to apply for those shit jobs and told the guy it wasn’t what I wanted to be doing. He didn’t say anything but probably reported it to someone. Sure why would he want to tell me about those boring details.

In class that day we continued working on our seams on the over locker. Every garment construction class we construct a bunch of different seams and then you neaten the edge with an over locker. If you’re wearing a t-shirt and turn up the bottom of it you should see a webbed stitch running along it. That’s what the over locker does. But it also has a blade that cuts through your cloth right along where it stitches. If it goes too fast on you, you could cut your cloth in half. It would still give you a nice finish but half a t-shirt isn’t much use to anyone. This can be fairly frustrating when you cut out your calico (a fairly cheap fabric we use), mess up sewing your seam a few times cause the sewing machine is an absolute bollox of a machine, cut more calico, sew your seam nicely this time, and then rip right through it all with the over locker. There are 4 over lockers and I thought I had been on the slowest but I was on the second slowest up til today. The slowest handles like a dream. No more grey hairs sprouting while I’m on the over locker from now on.

When I got home I had a letter saying my dole has been cancelled. No second chances over here. Like the second slowest over locker on my first attempt at a flat fell seam they sliced right through my benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment