Friday 30 March 2012

The impossible shift

Just to add to the stress I had to converse with my manager. I hadn’t been in work since Saturday and the roster didn’t go up until Sunday so I rang her then to find out my shifts. I’d previously told her that I couldn’t work until 6 on Friday cause I had all my projects in so when she told me my only shifts for the week were Friday at 6 and Saturday at 6 that was grand.

But then she rang me at half 11 and asked was I coming in for my shift at 11. I told her that she told me I wasn’t in until 6 tonight and I’d told her on my first day that I have college on Fridays so I could never work Friday during the day. I also reminded her that I had all my projects in this week and I’d written down on last week’s roster that I couldn’t work until 6 tonight. That’s why the next question she asked puzzled me: "oh right, do you think you’ll be able to make it in then?" But it does aid in understanding all the changes that were underway when I got in for my shift…at 6.

Apparently Sunday had been a nightmare for the kitchen staff. They have a huge kitchen with plenty of ovens and everything you need to run a restaurant. But they also have 5 microwaves and they prefer to use those instead. So when it gets busy you have two cooks standing around waiting for the microwaves to ping and orders tend to build up. They’d called down to the bar and told the managers to stop putting through orders for a while so they could catch up. They said ok. Then they continued to put through orders and rang the kitchen to complain about all the refunds they had to give cause people were leaving. The kitchen said remember a few minutes ago we told you we have a massive back log and to stop taking orders? They did but still took more orders so the kitchen staff went for a walk down to the bar and told the locals who rang the main man who decided to fire the managers. Yeah that’s a first for me too. Our most senior member of staff had been there since December and decided enough was enough and quit, and then the managers who had been told they needed to cut down hours and if possible, staff, decided to hire 4 new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment