Saturday 11 August 2012

A Close Shave

Went to bed late and then surprisingly got a call at 7.20am to get to work asap for a shift. Had hopes of getting in to see the two Irish lads but it was just too busy. They panicked and cut way too many staff so now there isnt enough of us. Ended up doing a 13 hour shift with little sleep, tired, groggy and unshaven.

One of the staffing girls came down and told me to shave cause someone had made a surprise visit. They had everything I need in staffing so no need to worry. Actually what they had was some cheapo shaving cream and a two-blade disposable piece of shit razor. What about after shave? Oh you can have my hand cream. Great. Wheres the toilets up here? Just use the public ones downstairs. This was a low point - being told I need to shave for the first time in my life and then having to do so in a busy public toilet without my nivea after shave balm. Just cut myself the twice and thought it would be funny if I went back up with little squares of toilet paper on my face but I didnt go through with it.

Later in work I was sitting at the coke stand looking aimlessly through my phone. I had just read a mail from staffing saying I made the cut for the paralympics team a couple of minutes earlier and was browsing through facebook now. Then I looked up and the fairly strict floor manager was a couple of feet away from me. Not too far behind her was the guy who's in charge of all the staff at excel. He's the one person who you should try to impress if you can. They were both looking at me wondering what I was doing when there was tables to be cleared and two managers watching on. I said to her I was falling asleep which is slightly better than being on your phone but not all that great of a response. She said tidy up the tables and then head off. That was close. It would have been fairly ironic if I got fired seconds after reading a job offer but instead it gave me a side story to tie in with my close shave blog post. And I got to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment