Friday 10 August 2012

A bit of history

Had been feeling pretty anxious all day about getting into work when I'm not working but I decided to just go for it. You usually sign in at a desk just before security and they give you a pass for the day, but as I still had a pass from yesterday I was hoping the person on the desk wouldnt see me or recognise me and I could go straight in. Once inside I'd had to go by the stairs that leads to the staff area and hopefully not be seen here either.

Who the hell is he?
 Stay cool, just walk by the desk

Luckily I'd never seen the guy on the desk in my life, he must be new cause its always the same couple of girls there. Got all the way to the boxing arena without hassle too. Then I went up the stairs to hopefully get a seat where I usually sit just above where the boxers enter the arena. The volunteer at the top of the stairs stopped me though and said they were told to stop us getting in today and "you're not allowed take peoples spare seats." What does that even mean? If they're spare then they aren't peoples'. I could see behind her the place where I first sat was full up for the first time ever too. I ran around that way anyway to chance it but there was sercurity everywhere who I thought might chuck me out if I tried getting in in front of them. Got a bit frantic and ran around the far side, tried another stairs and got in while a volunteer was distracted. Sat down just as another volunteer who wasnt working sat beside me. She was just saying how lucky we were to get a seat when some girl cried "you're in my seats" so I got up and legged it. Found another seat only to have some oul lads move me off to the row behind where luckily I got to stay for the whole fight.

The fight was just as nerve wracking as trying to get in so I was close to getting emotional towards the end. Then she ran around with the flag on her back, then chariots of fire was playing, and then the national anthem was being sung while the flag was raised, our little flag above all the others at the olympics, and it was all getting a bit too much. I had been moaning about my job to a guy beside me who had sneaked in just like me and he said "ah yeah but look where you are like." He was right. I'd just watched the best bit of sport of my life, and had also seen two of our other medal winners in our most successful olympics in my lifetime. I could probably forgive the job for messing us around so much now, even though they wouldnt forgive me if they knew what I was up to.



I left the excel centre by the far exit, walked all the way around to the entrance again and saw a girl from staffing on the desk and pretended I just arrived to hand in my time card cause I was unlikely to be getting anymore shifts. Just in case anyone spotted me. Turms out she was actually really nice and took my number and said she'd call me first if anyone calls in sick. Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment