Wednesday 4 April 2012

And those who cant teach teach gym

After that shift I went to sign up to a tutoring (giving grinds) agency. You have to have a CRB check writing down all your past addresses over the last 5 years cause its working with kids. I broke the record for that agency with 15 house moves in 5 years. Damn me and my honesty, will take ages to get this all checked out. Hope it comes through soon though cause its good money and pretty flexible hours-wise.
I think tutoring is the way to go. I was always better in college showing people what to do rather than doing it myself. One exam I had absolutely nailed the studying for it, knew it inside out. “Definitely getting between 85 and 91” I predicted. For once I was the one giving answers around the class for people to copy. The day before I was in a class room with Brian and a couple others showing them on the board how to do all the questions, drawing graphs and shit. This was his first time even looking at the subject. I explained exactly what was going to come up and how to answer it. Then on exam day I stroll in late as per usual, open the exam paper, have a yawn then panic when I realise the questions aren’t exactly as I expected them to be. The questions were the same, the numbers used were just slightly different. I got a 55, Brian got a 73.
I have endless exam disaster stories but this is probably the best.
In my first set of exams in first year I was 29 minutes late for the first one (30 mins and you have to repeat), did alright in the second and then started studying for the third with two and a half days to go. It was info systems which I didn’t know the first thing about (unlike now cause I’m a whizz, doing blogs and shit.) Even the most basic stuff like how many MB in a floppy disk went right over my head back then. I tried reading the notes and the book but it was painful so came up with the genius idea to record all the notes into a Dictaphone and then just play it back over and over and I’d ace the exam.
Started recording all the notes on Wednesday evening but by Friday evening I still hadn’t finished and had been so busy recording that I never had the time to play them back to myself to "study". I finally finished just before 1am, got into the bed and put in the ear phones. All I had to do was play it a couple of times and I might be alright.... sure enough after about 20 seconds of hearing my boring voice talking about how intranets work I fell into a deep sleep and woke in the morning distraught to see my ear phones hanging over the side of the bed.
I got up to college for about 9 and with the last throw of the dice cut out as many important slides as I could and stuffed them in my pencil case. The question on Porters value chain came up and I nailed it but that was it. 20 minutes in and I had absolutely nothing left to contribute. It didn’t matter though cause I had a match in Terenure against Vincents at half 11 and they were always my favourite team to play against so I had to leave anyway, get your priorities right and all. I scribbled down some retarded bullshit answers for the other questions and left at half 10. Unsurprisingly I got a 25 in that exam and had to repeat in the summer. When I got to Terenure the match was cancelled and we had to train instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment