Friday 11 May 2012

First welt pocket

Started a welt pocket today too. A welt pocket is the little slanty one that goes in front of your heart on a jacket so you reach it with your right hand. Or two or four of them go on a waistcoat. We'll be putting two not very deep ones on our waistcoat we're due to start making soon

For the first time learning something new I was well ahead of most people and my pocket (before I had sewn the pocket bag on) looked damn good (not my words) too. I’m getting the hang of pockets now, that could be my thing, I could be the one who’s good at pockets, need to keep it up. It’s all down to having a bit of patience and mainly this new machine I’ve discovered. The sewing machine is still kind of wrecking them when I sew the pocket bag on, just at the bottom left corner of each welt but its still so much better than any other machine I’ve been on so far.

Extract from diary that week: The Dream Machine handles like a dream, obviously. It’s so quiet you wouldn’t even know it was on, except that it makes a little beep when you’re sewing. This is a nice touch. No more messing about re-threading the machine over and over and taking the bobbin out to see what the problem is this time. No more pressing too hard on the pedal and ruining samples. No more tears. Looking forward to garment construction for the first time in a while now.

Was telling my sister I was getting good at pockets. She said to send her one over. Said she’d treasure it. It’s great finally being able to make an actual thing. I couldn’t make you a shirt but I could stitch a pocket onto your shirt. I could do a double jetted one or one with a flap or a welt. Plain, stripes or check. Anywhere you want. On the back, no bother. Or I could stitch a load of pockets together in the general shape of a shirt. This is great.






No comments:

Post a Comment