Tuesday 4 September 2012

It's the thought that counts


As well as being up against it trying to finish the waistcoat I decided to cheap out and make a wedding gift. I had a bit of practice binding books, making 4 so far so a wedding photo album wouldnt be beyond my capabilities. I was just going to bind it the same as the last ones but then I realised if you put photos in there afterwards then it would bulk out on one side. So I had to make the spine of the book twice as thick as where it opens. Took a bit of researching in shops and a while on the drawing board at home before the penny dropped on this one but I got there in the end.






Watched a few more youtube videos on book binding and I was close to binding the book in leather (I even bought some leather on brick lane but it was a bit smelly) but stuck with card and loosely followed a video by some guy who had this genius idea of having a little sunken rectangle in the front so the lovely couple could put a photo in there. I used this Indian cotton paper to put the photos on and then had some Japanese fancy version of wax paper to protect each photo. Add some ribbon, bind it with thread in a rush and it all comes together to make a very old rustic (but still classy) looking photo album. Only have a photo of the front but rest assured its pretty good on the inside (there's meant to be big bucks in bespoke wedding gifts so I cant give away all my secrets.)



With all the figuring out how to make the photo album and then making it, finishing my waistcoat, packing (which I always leave to the very last second), going to the excel centre for a training day only to get the day wrong, going to my hairdresser only to find it closed down, and relying on a bus to get to the airport, I got to thinking for the first time ever that I might have left it a bit late to catch my flight. Turns out I left it a little late, but if the bus had of turned up on time or even half an hour late I would have made it. So the wedding album turned out to be quite the expensive gift after all, and a standard flight to Faro turned into this:




No comments:

Post a Comment