Wednesday 27 February 2013

Making bashers

We use a vacuum board a lot in tailoring. If you don't have one of these you really need a basher. A basher is just a big block of wood with which you bash the cloth after you press it, and it sucks the hot air away. I'd been wanting one for a while and there was loads of wood out the back so I asked Joe to help me make one (make one for me.)

Get a block of wood


And get someone with a saw to cut it up for you


There was a really funny moment when I was standing straight in front of where he was cutting. He cut a piece off and it flew through the air at top speed around knee-cap height. Luckily I had just moved a couple of steps to the right a minute earlier. That would have hurt.


And then you have two bashers. The one on the right has a nice groove on the top for holding but they both work just the same. It developed a massive crack down the flat length of it a couple of days later but still does the job and has revolutionized home sewing.



No comments:

Post a Comment