Wednesday 2 January 2013

To waistcoat or not to waistcoat

That is the question. I really dont know if I can pull off wearing a waistcoat in everyday life. I'm good at making them now plus I'm pretty much almost there in having one fit me perfectly but whats the point if the only time I can wear them is at weddings and the like? Can I wear a really nice waistcoat out on the sesh to somewhere like coppers? And how often can I wear them? It probably wouldn't take too many appearances to get known as the guy who wears the waistcoat - ah here's waistcoat boy again - does it fit him yet? - nah - waistcoat wanker!

The first waistcoat we made was too big and blocky, and the second one was too tiny and ridiculous so I didnt really see the appeal of them until I watched Mad Men for the first time a couple of months ago. That Roger Sterling sure knows how to wear a cloth back waistcoat.


This pic doesn't really prove that, maybe watch the show. But bloody hell they know how to dress in that show. Then you notice that in every film set over 50 years ago every man in a suit is wearing a waistcoat, and they do look good. It's such a shame that everyone doesn't still wear waistcoats with such wild abandon as they used to cause if they did for one thing I'd probably be in a job now. Plus I'd be able to wear a waistcoat around all the time without risking a slagging.

If Mad Men was the show that got me wanting to make really nice suit waistcoats then Kevin McCloud's Man Made Home was the show that got me wanting to make myself more casual waistcoats.


(Unfortunately not in pic) He has this deadly suede one that he wears out in the garden fixing up his house that is just really nice and comfy looking and has handy little pockets for keeping nails in or what not. As well as the suit waistcoat its time the casual waistcoat came back too. I have some vest thing for cycling that is cool, as light as a feather and keeps you just warm enough when its not that warm outside. That's it, from now on everything I make is going to be in waistcoat form, I'm bringing them back baby!

I just dont know if Dublin is ready for it yet though, I shaved just the back and sides of my hair there recently and got a serious slagging when I got home, then one of the lads put on a sleeveless body warmer and got ripped out of it too. I'll bring them back in London first when I go back. I'll be looking like JGL in no time, if he can pull them both off maybe I can too.


No comments:

Post a Comment