Sunday 20 January 2013

Almost famous


SCENE 1. INT. EXTRAS AGENCY

Two months earlier at extras agency registration. Couch and chairs in front of a TV. About eight of us sitting waiting, two of them in army outfits, couple of fierce Irish looking people too. Got to talking to girl beside me, a fellow Dub. Guy starts to call the register: Irish name after Irish name.

Guy:
Some of you are here cause you have army costumes, and some of you are here cause you’re Irish. They are going to be shooting a period drama set in Ireland. Apparently starring the Fastbender (sp is wrong I know) in the movie about Coocoolin (again)….oh shit I shouldn’t have told you’s that.

            Needless to say this news went straight to my head

           
SCENE 2. INT. JOE’S VAN, SOMEWHERE ON THE 406 GOING WEST. 6.30AM

I finally googled the film name that the extras agency kept quoting in texts and emails


Feck! All this time I thought that the silly name was code so they could keep the Coocoolin film secret. No Fastbender. Disaster.

SCENE 3. EXT. TRAIN STATION SOMEWHERE NEAR OXFORD. 9.00AM

Waiting for a lift to the set. There was an Irish looking girl waiting outside the station too, we got to talking. She’s really an actress but will be an extra today. Her name’s Mary. A little further down there was a guy with a ginger beard waiting too. A mini-van pulled up and we all got in

SCENE 4. EXT. FILM SET.

Loads of modern looking mobile homes about but we got brought around to a double-decker bus kitted out with tables. Beardy guy tried to introduce himself to the lads that brought us around but they weren’t interested.

Breakfast. I went for muesli, toast, yoghurt, a fruit salad, coffee and an orange for later. Me and Mary sat opposite each other, he sat towards the back. We just got started on breakfast and then got called away.

SCENE 5. EXT. OUTSIDE HAIR AND MAKE-UP MOBILE HOME.

Brought over to talk to hair and make-up lady. Someone handed us a sheet of paper each and the hair and make-up lady was full of chat about what she was going to change about Mary and beardy guy.

Beardy:
Hi, I’m ____ by the way, I usually work on blah blah blah

Make-up lady:
Yeah I have been looking at your picture and have a few ideas about what I’m going to do with you

            To Mary

And I have some ideas for you too

Me: (under my breath)
But…but…I’m in the film too

Mary looked at me as if to say maybe I should say something. We walked back towards the bus.

Mary:
I got fairgoer, what did you’s get?

Beardy:
I’m a stall holder

I looked at my sheet for the first time, scanned the page for something relevant and then there it was: “John’s friend.” Needless to say this went straight to my head. Art imitates life. Who the hell is John? I can’t believe the trained actress and the lick are just lowly old fairgoers and stall holders and I’ve got an actual part. This is intense, what if I get a line? I can’t believe it.

SCENE 6. INT. DOUBLE DECKER

Five young ladies in nurse outfits came in and sat down. They were chatting away and laughing about the state of the costumes they had to wear. Not an Irish accent between them. A normal black outfit nun in her fifties and a nun in an all white outfit followed them and sat across from me and Mary. Black nun diagonally across from me was very giddy about her costume and kept trying to adjust it but it wouldn’t stop sticking up into her chin when she was sitting down. She was rolling around the seat trying to get comfortable and laughing away. Mary joined in. It was just a very funny scene. Mary couldn’t stop herself now; was trying to say something to the black nun but kept laughing over the words.

Black nun:
What is it dear? You can tell me anything

I had a few laughs over my yoghurt about that and similar banter

White nun:
How’s the tailoring going?

Me:
What? Ah it’s yourself, didn’t recognize you behind the outfit there, what’s the craic? Have you got a proper part yeah? How did that happen?

White nun:
Yeah, right after we registered that day they rang me up and asked if I could come in for a week of filming. Then they stuck this nun outfit on me and got me to walk around in front of the camera all day, it’s great

Me:
Ah wow, that’s great

Little did she know that behind the smile I was pretty pissed. Why didn’t I get called up for a week? What a joke. Luckily I got called over to costume and make-up so didn’t have to stay and pretend congratulate for much longer. You get paid £19 if they cut your hair which is handy cause I’m in need of a trim. I grew out my pathetic beard too as much as possible just in case they pay you for a shave. I hope it’s a proper barber’s shave, never had one of them before.

SCENE 7. EXT. OUTSIDE HAIR AND MAKE-UP MOBILE HOME

Beardy guy was chatting to hair and make-up lady. I felt an annoying chatty mood coming on: a rare occurrence.

Beardy:
…Honestly, I need to keep my hair the way it is in order to keep getting parts. If you want to take an inch off the back though that’s alright

Make-up lady:
No you’re fine, we’ll leave you so. Ok you next

            She checked out my head

Make-up lady:
We’ll bring you in for a chop now. Why didn’t you shave?

Me:
I have to warn you, I lose 5 to 10 years when I get a hair cut and a shave at the same time.

Make-up lady:
You’ll be alright. Wait hang on, turn around. You might be fine actually, just need to sort out the sideburns, come on inside.

SCENE 8. INT. HAIR AND MAKE-UP MOBILE HOME

Me:
You know I’m John’s friend right? What does that mean (for my hair)?

            She stopped cleaning the blade and turned to me, looking serious all of a sudden

Make-up lady: (in a sinister voice)
You’re dodgy

She clipped a tiny bit off the back and sides and then started on my side burns but got a bit carried away and went way too high

Make-up lady:
You’re meant to come here clean shaven, make sure you do on Saturday

Me:
No one told me to

Make-up lady:
But that’s what it’s always like

Me:
Well this is the first one I’ve done

Make-up lady:
Well you need to be clean shaven with clean hair

Me:
What’s clean hair mean?

Make-up lady:
It means wash your hair the night before

Me:
But my hair gets all bouncy and out of control when I wash it

Make-up lady:
Don’t worry, we can sort that out

She scalped my side-burns 1950’s Limerick style and then they took a couple of photos.



Costume was quick and painless too. Then I walked back towards the bus. Some girl led me there and I felt like my day was about to end

Girl:
Did you get a hair cut?

Me:
Nah not really, she just straightened my sideburns. Oh wait…I mean yeah she took a good bit off the back and sides too.

Girl:
Ok we’ll put you down for a hair cut, here keep this

She handed me my sheet, £70 for a couple of hours eating food and standing around, I think I’ve found my dream part time job

No comments:

Post a Comment