Tuesday 3 July 2012

Draping course

Have been getting my late night Thursday tailoring on in the fashion department the last few weeks and last week the teacher there told us about this draping course she’s running for the next two Tuesdays and Thursdays. 3 hours a night. This is crunch time and I could really do with all the time I can get to finish my college work on time but fuck it I’ll be a rebel and do a fashion course.
 Had no idea what draping was but figured I might as well do it. I drew some pictures of pictures of dresses in the fashion department and found it fairly relaxing. One day maybe I’ll be able to draw actual dresses instead of pictures of them.
Don’t really know what went on in the class altogether. We had pencils and paper and picked an object out of a box, mine was a miniature bust with a dress over it. Good so far. But then we wrapped cloth around the object and drew the bundle of cloth instead. First a normal drawing, then one with your weak hand, then one without lifting the pencil, then one with a blindfold on, another using a pencil and a coloured pencil at the same time. Then we drew the picture through the medium of masking tape, the medium of magazine cut outs, and finally with tissue paper and markers. Apparently it will make some sort of sense on Thursday. I still have no idea what draping is. Blind sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment