Tuesday 14 February 2012

You're a tailor Harry

I really should be looking for a job around now but I met my tailor friend in town and we did the tailor experience tour around Soho and Mayfair. It was brilliant and very informative. First we went to a shop called Morplan link and bought all my supplies for school. He is big and burly and has man facial hair, while I’m a bit scrawny and could pass for a schoolboy, so it was a bit like Hagrid bringing Harry going around Diagon Alley, except I was looking for shears instead of a wand. I picked a pair (or should I say the pair picked me?) of mundial shears, 9 inches, from Brazil, nickel plated, japanned handles, unicorn hair. Then we bought a load of other bits and pieces and I got it all on student discount for the first time in 5 years - that felt good.

We went around to Soho where a friend of his has a workshop above a brothel. The woman who works there is like 80 years old which is pretty sick but you have to admire her work rate. We passed by number 3 Savile Row where The Beatles had their last ever gig on the roof top and which the Simpsons parodied in the B-Sharps episode. Check out all the clips of the Beatles in the Simpsons and check out the placards at 1.17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P7eVjGBrWU&feature=related
 

Just across the road Abercrombie and Fitch opened up a store a few years ago. This sparked a lot of controversy at the time and featured in this interesting documentary about Savile Row.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9XVpaRcZU


That first episode is definitely worth a watch but the next two aren’t as good. A&F is a scary place: its jam packed with ripped lads walking around with their tops off and its pitch dark, who knows what you might put your hand on when you’re trying to find your way. I found my friend and we got the hell out of there and walked around a few other streets in Mayfair that have tailors on them. It’s such a ridiculously nice part of town, really looking forward to working around there someday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment